Monday 6 May 2013

Commutes and Book Binges




I never thought starting a new job would give me MORE time to read, but it seems I was mistaken.
For a few months, I have had a backlog of books to read, a stack of ones I've bought and haven't got around to or felt inclined to start.
And then I got a new job, and getting there sees me stuck on a bus for an hour and a half with sketchy phone signal that I have to wait to man up before I can reply to my friend. For the first few days, I just plugged myself into my iPod and anxiously watched for my stop. The following week, I packed a book from the top of my pile.
I'm a fast reader. In that hour and a half, I was half way through and hadn't missed my stop, curled across two bus seats and oblivious to the world. Music and reading is therapy, I swear.
I didn't manage to finish the book that day, the return journey saw me tired and unable to focus on the words, but that's the good thing about travelling to and from work. You know you'll have to do it again and are guaranteed to finish.
I have almost emptied my reading list. I no longer have a stack of books, I have a few left and need more.
Going to work is a total book binge.
I will try and review the ones I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment